Saturday, February 19, 2011

Cake With Style

Sitkans Against Family Violence is holding its annual fundraiser tonight and part of this event is a silent dessert auction.  I wanted to create a show stopper for this event with hopes that it will bring in a large sum of money for the organization.

This cake is the most complex yet!  I started by baking two 10" round white cakes and two 8" round white cakes.  I prepared two batches of butter cream, a double  batch of fondant and my favorite gum paste recipe.  That is over 12lbs of sugary topping for this cake!  Before I started on the cake, I made my gum paste roses.  Each flower was formed one petal at a time.  When they dried I dusted them with pink blossom tint and a bit of red pearl luster dust. 

Next came butter cream and cake carving.  I was a little nervous carving the purse from the 8" cakes but I measured twice and took my time.  It was a challenge to get the correct slope and keep the entire thing symmetrical.  Once carved, both cakes received a generous coating of butter cream. 

Covering the hat box in fondant went fairly quickly but the purse took nearly three hours to complete.  I wanted it to look realistic which meant details!  Hand painted stitching, gum paste handle and well place dragees for rivets completed this work of sugar art. 

Here it is!




Stop by ANB Hall tonight and bid on this gorgeous confection!

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment