Thursday, November 25, 2010

Christmas flowers for Thanksgiving?

Dead leaves, turkeys and pumpkins were not doing it for me.  I made a few colors of gum paste for fall mums but I just didn't like them. So, I decided to bring in the holiday season with bright bold Christmas colors.
This poinsettia is made of 16 individual pieces. After the leaves are left to dry I wrap the wires in floral tape and then combine them onto one stem.  Each leaf was color dusted, hand painted and gold leaf highlighted.

The white fondant provided contrast to emphasize the beauty on top of the cake.  I added a monochromatic twist at the base of each tier and dusted it with gold highlights.  My final touches were tiny holly leaves and a single silver pearl.

This cake was comprised of two flavors.  The bottom was a simple moist white cake.  The top was a light spice cake with chocolate and hazelnut filling.

Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

  1. Really nice. The poinsettia looks very realistic. I think it honestly looks very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete