Saturday, November 20, 2010

Silver Basin and Delays

I am almost finished with a small cake for the Silver Basin. They are my favorite store in all of Sitka! They remind me of Williams Sonoma but Carol(owner) is always there to give great advice and outstanding customer service. Silver Basin is hosting an open house this evening and I am working on a darling little cake for the event. The cake is an advertisement for my newly established business. I will not sell whole cakes but the art that adorns the top to create a beautiful dessert for any home baker! I had short notice on this one so it is not as intricate as others but I am pleased thus far. I will post pictures later today.

I am learning the challenges of living in Alaska! I ordered supplies from the web in hopes that I could prepare bows, poinsettias and other holiday decorations in time for Christmas but it appears that the essential ingredient I need is going to take weeks to get here! Oh well! All in due time. Tylose and Trag gum give the sugar dough it's flexability and strength when dry. With out it objects are far to fragile to sell. I tried a few grocery store alternates yesterday but I was not successful. The sugar doughs were pliable but crumbled when dry.

My girls are enjoying all of the sugar in my house right now! Even though the doughs were not suited for my needs M & O love playing with it! We are off to a playdate this morning.

Amanda

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful to have a cake at the Silver Basin open house. I am sure people will love it!

    ReplyDelete