Sunday, December 5, 2010

Birthday Cakes

Of course my girls did not want the same birthday cake decorations so I made two!  O picked Little Mermaid and M picked Cinderella.  The inside of the cakes were pink and purple to satisfy my very picky little customers ;) 

This cake was tricky!  The bottom is a 12" round with a butter cream crumb coat and fondant.  The castle is a rice crispy treat!  The castle walls are fondant but all of the detail work is done in gum paste.  I piped butter cream for the grass, vines, flowers and bottom border.  M LOVED her cake!  I did not attempt to create Cinderella out of gum paste because I knew my daughter would want to keep her.

Ariel is sitting upon a 4" round that is stacked on a two layer 8" round.  I thought I would finish this cake quicker than Cinderella but I was wrong.  The gum paste coral and seaweed were time consuming.  Mostly because there were so many colors.  Each color has to be kneaded by hand until the color is consistent throughout.  I always try to decorate my cakes so that they are beautiful from all directions and this one was no exception.  Needless to say, O was thrilled with her cake.  She got to eat the entire top tier!

Here are the happy birthday girls waiting to blow out the candles and eat some cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment