Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Santa Taking a Bath

Santa's tub is a dark chocolate cake with dark chocolate chunks.  I torted the cake with my homemade buttercream and then covered in fondant.  I used gumpaste to create Santa and all of his accessories. 

This cake had a few surprises for me during construction.  After I carved the cake and crumb coated it, the thin end of the tub started to collapse!  I had to roll my fondant a little thicker than I prefer in order to help stabilize it.  After the fondant went on it started sagging again but there was nothing I could do about it.  So, I used a small piece of fondant as a wedge under the bottom of the tub to level the top.  It worked like a charm!  Then came the bubbles.  Each and every bubble is a hand rolled ball of fondant.  I grossly underestimated the amount of bubbles I would need.  I wont be using fondant bubbles again anytime soon!  But, they do look great shimmering with pearl dust!

Santa is getting ready for his big night!  Who doesn't love a little luxury?



Merry Christmas!
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment